2013-2014 Academic Workshops and Events
The schedule for the academic workshops & events has been established! Please review the following dates and mark your calendars:
Additional events will be added throughout the 2013-2014 academic year, such as large and/or small group college campus visit(s) and a possible spring overnight trip.
- Sunday, September 29 - Academic Workshop at Lincoln High School; then attend the Golden Circle College Fair at Hy-Vee Hall, Des Moines
- Wednesday, October 10 – Student Leadership Conference at the University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls (SAB members & Summer 2013 Emerging Leaders only)
- Saturday, November 2 - College Prep Day at Drake University, Des Moines *Open to public, students encouraged to register & attend on own; not a UB-specified event
- Sunday, November 10 - Cultural Event: Performance of “Wicked” at the Civic Center, Des Moines
- Saturday, November 16 – Reggie’s Sleepout, Drake University, Des Moines (SAB members)
- Saturday, December 7 – Academic Workshop at Central College, Pella
- Thursday-Sunday-Tuesday, January 9, 12, 14 – Final Exam Study Sessions at the Des Moines Central Public Library
- Saturday, February 1 – Academic Workshop at Central College, Pella
- Saturday, March 29 – Academic Workshop hosted at Grand View University, Des Moines
Grade 12: Complete post-test of On-Course Assessment http://college.cengage.com/downing_assessment/jsp/questions1-8.jsp?customizer=pre
- Saturday, April 12 – Leadership Activity (SAB members)
- Thursday, April 24 – Large group Campus Visit to the University of Northern Iowa & the University of Iowa for sophomores and junior current students
- Saturday, April 26 – REQUIRED Standardized Testing for all returning and new students & 2014 Summer Orientation for parents of new participants at Central College, Pella * campus tour available
- Tuesday, April 29 – Make-up REQUIRED Standardized Testing at Oskaloosa HS & Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont HS (3:15-5:45 p.m. per site)
- Tuesday, April 29 – Make-up Summer Orientation session for parents of new participants at East HS (Cafeteria), Oskaloosa HS (Library) and Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont (Library) @ 6:00 p.m. per site
- Wednesday, April 30 – Make-up REQUIRED Standardized Testing at East HS, North HS & Lincoln HS (1:00-3:30 p.m. per site)
- Summer Upward Bound program - June 3-July 11, 2014
Seniors: all seniors should re-take the ACT during the Fall of 2013. Students may choose to take the September 21st, October 26th, or December 14th exam. New 2013-2014 fee waivers are now available. Please note the waivers mailed home to students in July expired on August 31, 2013. Test dates and registration deadlines are available on the ACT website and may be viewed by clicking here. Please contact your UB coordinator for a test waiver. Each waiver has a unique ID number to register.
Juniors: all* juniors should plan to take the April 12, 2014 ACT. Deadline to register is March 7th. *Please note: DMPS juniors will take the ACT during school hours on Tuesday, April 22, 2013. You will not need to use a fee waiver to register. DMPS covers the testing fee. All UB students are eligible for two fee waivers throughout high school.
The 2013 PSAT/NMSQT test dates are Wednesday, October 16th or Saturday, October 19th. You must sign up for the PSAT/NMSQT at your high school. This test is administered by high schools not through test centers, typically during the school day. Online registration for the PSAT/NMSQT is not available. Please note that each high school chooses only one October test date. All UB juniors should register to take the PSAT. If your school does not have a fee waiver available for you, UB will reimburse you for the testing fees.
Research Study Results
View the complete results of the Parental Outreach Efforts study conducted during the fall of 2010.