A chemistry major from Central opens the door to diverse career options such as basic research, medicine, pharmacology, public health, biochemistry, teaching, industrial lab work, environmental testing and forensic science. In addition, chemistry majors at Central are eligible for admission to the chemical engineering programs at Washington University in St. Louis and Iowa State University following completion of their junior year. Past chemistry graduates have gone on to become research chemists, criminalists and health professionals.
Recent graduates’ careers have taken them to the following businesses and graduate schools:
- Aerojet Fine Chemicals, Sacramento, Calif.
- Medical students, University of Iowa
- Graduate student in organic chemistry, University of Texas at Austin
- Graduate student in biochemistry, Purdue University
- Graduate student in medicinal chemistry, University of Kansas
- Genetech, San Francisco, Calif.
- Graduate student, Minnesota University
- Graduate student in chemical engineering, North Carolina State University
- Amelia Earhart Postdoctoral Fellow, NASA Fellow, University of California at Berkeley
- Graduate student in pharmaceutical science, University of Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha)
- High school chemistry teacher
- Chemist, Cargill, Des Moines and Eddyville
- Doctor of osteopathy student, Des Moines University
- Environmental chemist, Gelita North America, Sioux City, Iowa
- Dental student, University of Iowa Dental School
- Doctor of osteopathy student, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
- Pharmacy student, University of Washington
- Chemical engineer, Air Force Research Laboratory
- Graduate student, University of Iowa, organic chemistry
- Graduate student, Rice University, physical chemistry