Spring 2019 – New “GAMING” Connections
During Fall Semester 2018, Scholte residents moved from the hidden “gaming” WiFi network to an alternate method of connecting devices related to gaming, tvs and streaming. Plans to upgrade the remainder of the campus is planned for January 28, 2019. It is to your advantage to re-configure your devices NOW so you are ready when the hidden “gaming” network is turned off.
Phase II – Network services affected after switchover
Summary of Phase I
The hidden “gaming” network was turned off so it was no longer broadcast to Scholte residents. Scholte residents used the following instructions to connect devices formerly connected through the “gaming” network.
Users visiting campus now have other options: a 24 hour window of connectivity, or up to a 2 week window of connectivity. Instructions are listed later on this site.
The network named “airCentral-Academic” was taken down and no longer available.
What is Phase II
Preparation for Phase II starts now (1/9/2019). The ITS department plans to communicate with students the paths they need to take to be ready for January 28, 2019 when the hidden “gaming” network is no longer available.
After January 28, the gaming network will no longer work for on Central’s campus. The gaming network had been established for devices requiring a password only. For example: tvs, gaming devices and streaming devices. After January 28, all students wanting to connect these types of devices to the WiFi network must register their devices. Students should connect to the wireless network called: airCentral, using your Central College credentials. Students register their devices by navigating to: https://auth.central.edu/guest. After registration of the tv or gaming device, students connect their gaming devices to: Central.College.Visitor. GAMING DEVICES still work across campus, only the method of connecting is different.
Students connect their computers and mobile devices to the airCentral network with their student credentials.
Connecting non-computer devices
- On your computer, navigate to a browser
- Navigate to: https://auth.central.edu/guest
- Type your username and password
- Click on the Create button
- For the Device Name: Type your username and the type of device
- Media Access Control Address (MAC): Enter the MAC or Physical number of the wireless device, do not use the wired MAC address or Bluetooth address. These numbers are found generally under preferences, options or network settings of the device. Check the device manual or search online for the location of the MAC or Physical numbers for your device. ** Be sure and use colons between each set of characters. Ex: 00:00:00:00:00:00
- Device Type: select the appropriate device
- AirGroup: Select this if you are the only one that is ‘in control’ of this device.
- Shared With: List Central usernames of those people you’d like to have access to your device.
- Choose an expiration date
- Click Create Device
- A registration receipt is displayed
- Connect device to: Central.College.Visitor
Users coming to Central College and wishing to use the visitor network, will have two options. Visitors will see these options whenever they try to open an Internet site. The first option allows users a 24 hour time frame. If users need additional time, a link in the initial form takes them to a form gathering information for a sponsored connection. The visitor types the faculty or staff email and name. The faculty or staff member gets a notification this visitor wants a sponsored visitor account and must approve of the request. The sponsored account connects the user for up to two weeks.
Here are examples of the forms to be completed for visitor access:
If you have questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk, ITSHelpDesk@central.edu or call 641-628-7692