Student Advisory Board
The Upward Bound Student Advisory Board (SAB) is comprised of peer-selected UB participants and provides an opportunity for elected representatives to develop personal leadership skills while working to develop the Upward Bound community.
Responsibilities of the elected SAB members may include, but not limited to:
- Leadership Development – Participate in various leadership development opportunities during the summer program and throughout the academic year.
- Mentorship – Serve as mentors for newly admitted students to the program. Model UB values and spirit, as well as serve as resource and guide as new students learn about UB programs and activities.
- Student Perspective on Program Development – Serve as student representatives/liaisons to UB administrative staff for program development and student issues for program improvement.
- Fundraising – Plan, organize, and facilitate UB fundraising activities to support Bridge student college textbook stipends, contributions to the Council for Opportunity in Education, TC & Staff Appreciation Days, and UB special events, as necessary.
- PAST & RECENT ACTIVITIES
- Pella Pizza Ranch fundraiser
- Dodgeball Tournament fundraiser
- Iowa TRIO Student Leadership Conference
- Reggie’s Sleepout for Central Iowa Youth Homelessness
- Central College & Iowa State Basketball Game Concessions fundraiser
- Present at UB Saturday workshops
- Spring Leadership Retreat with Drake University student leaders and educational service project in Des Moines
- Iowa TRIO Day at the Iowa State Capitol
- Voted on & gave weekly UB Citizenship & Positivity Awards during Summer UB
2017-2018 Student Advisory Board Members
President: Alejandro Zarate (12)
Vice President: Jeffrey Ragan (12)
Secretary: Laura Lo (12)
East Representatives: Arissa McGregor (11) & Nawal Rai (11)
Lincoln School Representatives: Shantelia Shook (12) & Ka’Jah Claytor (12)
Oskaloosa High School Representatives: Ben Hunt (11), Taylor Deney (12),
North High School Representative: Mariela Soto (12) Louisa Irankunda (11)
Pella High School Representatives: Megan Stephens (11)
E-B-F High School Representatives: Maddy Keegel (11)
Bridge Representatives: Abby Parker
Advisor, Whitney Wagner, UB Coordinator
Upcoming SAB Events
Feb 13, 2018: TRIO Day at the Capitol
TBA- Spring Volunteer Event