Transfer Credit FAQs

Q: How many credits can I transfer to Central?

A: For students entering prior to August 2024: A maximum of 60 semester hours of transfer credit (including a maximum of 24 semester hours from AP, IB, PSEO and dual enrollment) may be applied toward completion of a Central College degree. The total number of credits required for a degree from Central is 120.

B. For students entering after August 2024:  A maximum of 75 semester hours of transfer credit may be applied toward completion of a Central College degree. Thirty of the last 45 credits must be taken in residence. This may include AP, IB, AICE or dual-enrollment coursework that meets the minimum requirements and up to a maximum of 16 vocational/ technical credits included within the maximum of 75 hours.

Q: What grade do I need to earn on a course in order for it to transfer?

A: Courses must be graded with a letter grade of “C” or higher in order to transfer. Courses graded Pass/Fail are typically not eligible for transfer.

Q: Why didn’t some of my courses transfer?

A: There are three main reasons why courses do not transfer:

  • The course did not meet the minimum grade requirement of “C”.
  • The course did not qualify for transfer because it was for a remedial, college orientation, or vocational course. Vocational courses are also referred to as career prep or technical courses by some community colleges. Some common examples of vocational courses include CNA, agriculture, culinary and food service, health services, construction, automotive, graphic design, and some computer and networking courses. This list is by no means all-inclusive so check with the registrar’s office at Central College if you have questions about whether or not a course is vocational.
  • Your final, official transcripts have not been received. Credit is only granted from an official transcript mailed directly to Central College from the transfer institution.

Q: Can I receive writing intensive (WRT) core credit for a transfer course?

A: The only transfer course that automatically counts for the Writing Intensive requirement is the equivalent to Central’s WRIT-101 Composition which is Composition II at most community colleges. If you have completed a course that required you to write 15-20 pages of formal writing in which you were required to write multiple drafts that were revised based on instructor feedback, it is possible that that course could count toward your Writing Intensive requirement.  If you have any courses that you would to count, please send the syllabus to

Q: Will my grades transfer to Central?

A: Central does not include grades for transfer courses in their GPA calculations. Only courses taken at Central College will be included in the GPA.

Q: Do I need to take the language assessment?

A: If you took at least one year of Spanish, French, or German in high school, or you have taken one of these courses in college, you should complete the language assessment. For more information contact the Registrar’s Office,  Students who do not take the Language Assessment prior to entering Central must have the assessment proctored by a member of the Modern Languages faculty or select designate. Students who need to take the language assessment should contact the chair of the Modern Languages department to schedule a time to take the assessment no less than two weeks prior to the start of registration.

Q: Do I need to take the math assessment?

A: All students are required to take the math assessment which is available on your New Student Portal. You will receive a New Student Portal username and password once you have been admitted to Central.

Q: Where can I see a list of Central’s core or general education requirements?

A: A description of the core requirements can be found here.

Q: Where can I see a list of courses required for a major or minor?

A: The major and minor requirements for the current academic year are available in the course catalog here.

Q: Am I required to take CIV-110 Civitas?

A: Transfer students with fewer than 12 transferrable credits (excluding AP, International Baccalaureate or AICE) entering in the fall semester will take CIV-110 Civitas Transfer students with fewer than 12 transferrable credits entering in the spring must take CIV-110 Civitas the following fall.

Q: When and how do I register for classes?

A: To be eligible to register, you must first be formally admitted and pay your $200 enrollment deposit to the admission office. Once your deposit is received, the registrar’s office will email you with registration information, and the transfer class dean will contact you to set up a time to discuss your major goals and help you build a schedule. For additional information on this process please visit:

Q: Who do I contact about housing?

A: Melissa Sharkey, Assistant Dean of Students, can help you with housing questions. You can reach Melissa by phone at 641-628-5180 or email at