Veteran Education Benefits

Julie Fopma, Associate Registrar
School Certifying Official
Chapters 1606, 1607, 30, 31, 32, 33, 33-Yellow Ribbon, 35
Central College

Prospective Students

Prospective students should apply for admission to Central via the online application and apply for Veteran education benefits using the instructions below.

Click here for information regarding degree requirements and a summary of Central’s core of general education courses.

Applying for VA Benefits

If you are a current or former service member, complete the steps outlined here to start receiving VA Benefits at Central College.  Remember, you must be enrolled in courses before you can be certified by the school certifying official.

Transferring Benefits

For instructions regarding the transfer of benefits from a service member to a dependent, please click here.  Students must then complete VA Form 22-1990E Application For Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits in order for the student to be certified by the school certifying official.  Use this application for CH 30, CH 33, CH 1606 and CH 1607.  To view the application, please click here.

Students who can receive CH 35 Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA) benefits should complete VA Form 22-5490 for Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits.  To view the application, please click here.

Unsure if you’re eligible to transfer benefits or use transferred benefits? Visit this website to learn more.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

Degree-seeking, Central students who qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill with 100% eligibility are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program.  In the event that the student exhausts the yearly allotted amount for Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients ($25,162.14 for August 1, 2020 to July 31, 2021) and he/she still has remaining tuition and mandatory fee charges, the Yellow Ribbon program will cover the remaining amount.  Students are still responsible for room and board and other miscellaneous charges. In accordance with the Post 9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2010, tuition specific aid (i.e. Central Scholarships, Iowa Tuition Grant, private scholarships specifically intended to defray the cost of tuition) is first subtracted from the total tuition and fee charges and the remainder is covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon program. Central’s Yellow Ribbon contribution cannot exceed $12,000 a year per student.

For further information about VA education benefits please visit or contact the VA directly by calling 1-888-GIBILL1 (442-4551).  You may also contact the VA via their secure e-mail service by clicking on “Submit a Question” under FAQS at


State and Federal Tuition Assistance

Contact Wayne Dille, Director of Financial Aid:  641-628-5336 /


On Campus Resources

For academic counseling and other information regarding completing a course of education please contact the Registrar’s Office: 641-628-5442/

For financial counseling, contact Wayne Dille, Director of Financial Aid: 641-628-5336/

For disability counseling, contact Nancy Kroese, Direct Student Support Services/ Disability Service Coordinator: 641.628.5247/